Prov 16:18 ‘Pride goes before destruction, And a haughty spirit before a fall.
- Greek word for Pride is Hubris which means arrogance, over confidence which leads a person to believe that they may do no wrong.
- An excessive preoccupation with self and one’s own importance, achievements, status, or possessions.
- Pride is defined by Webster’s dictionary as “having an inordinate (excessive or unreasonable) amount of self-esteem or conceit.” It is “the love of one’s own excellence.”
- Undue confidence in and attention to one’s own skills, accomplishments, state, possessions, or position.
- synonyms for pride include arrogance, presumption, conceit (excessive pride in oneself)boasting, and high-mindedness. It is the opposite of humility.
- Pride is giving ourselves the credit for something that God has accomplished. 1 Cor 4:7
- Pride is taking the glory that belongs to God alone and keeping it for ourselves. Pride is essentially self-worship.
- An unreasonable conceit of one’s own superiority in talents, beauty, wealth, accomplishments, which manifests itself in lofty airs, distance, reserve, and often in contempt of others.
- The king of pride is Satan, and his children are those who show his characteristics (John 8:44)
Scriptures on Pride
|What is the consequence of pride?||Daniel 5:20|
|What does pride do to a man?||Proverbs 29:23|
|Who does God do to those who walk in Pride?||Daniel 4:37|
|Why is it important not to put a novice in leadership?||1 Timothy 3:6|
|Who does Pride result in?||Proverbs 11:2|
|What is the result of humbling ourselves?||2 Chro 32:26|
|What can stop our prayers from being answered?||Job 35:12|
|What comes with Pride?||Prov 13:10|
|What did Herod do wrong?||Acts 12:21-23|
Scriptures That Helps us Keep Pride in Check
|1 Corinthians 13:4|
Signs Of Pride
|Exalts self at the expense of others|
|Taking credit for what God gave them and for who they are.|
|Focuses on other’s failures|
|Hungry for attention, respect in all its forms.|
|Thinks they are better than others.|
|They feel everyone is privileged to have them.|
|Pride feels they don’t need anyone and feels they know it all.|
|Always defensive and never see the other person’s point of view.|
|Selfish, over ambitious and focusses on self.|
|Arrogant, inflated view of self and feeling of I’m better than others.|
|Easily get frustrated with others.|